Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Farm Life... With the Whole-Hearted & Heart Breaking...

Hello my Darlin Dears, wonderful meadow creatures that like to carry of the ends of my harvested Corn & you wonderful Gnomes that help me chase ducks,


Miss Lamb your girl whom swims in Muddy ponds Farmer here,


The peas are in heavy harvest right now...


So are the green Beans....


...& I just put away about 120 heads of corn:)


...& apparently some wild dog pack or coyotes thought it necessary to Harvest more than half of my duck flock...


.............................


Let me start from the beginning...

I recently moved my 5 week old ducks to the pasture with the lovely pond:) A muddy pond filled with red dirt, but lovely none the less:)

Fred, the Donkey, is the protector of the pasture:)

He usually... usually... does a good job at protecting the Animals...

But no more than two days I had they been in the pasture did something (a few of my farmer friends think it is a wild dog pack) get my ducks darn it...

I had been in the city for a night for a art show, & that is probably why the dogs were also not around. But I came home first thing in the morn to open up the coops and water and feed, to only find the pasture coop with the ducks was missing a door & over half were gone...

I found a few parts here & there...
..& only 5 ducks at the time..

I knew one thing though... I needed to catch the ducks that were left and return them to a coop closer to my house, but what is a girl to do when your 5 ducks that are left alive will not move from the very center of the pond?


I threw a few rocks close to the ducks, but they would only spread a bit like oil, & then come back together:) I was running late for a farming get together that was 2 hours away, and I needed to hurry. I was also a bit teary eyed over my ducks, if you can imagine...So what did I do?

The answer was in taking off all of my clothes & jumping in the muddy pond to capture them, so that is what I did:)

(no pictures for that one...sorry folks:)

I did manage to capture the 5. I then took a quick shower & was on the road towards Walnut Creek Farms:) & it was a lovely day.. & it felt good to talk to other farmers... to know I was not the only one that bad things happen to..

I returned home to find 7 others had returned back from the pasture where they must have been hiding. But what is a girl to do when your ducks are wandering around a known wild animal attack zone & it is as dark as pitch outside? 

Well, I took my good old pickup and threw a sleeping bag in it and parked it by the pond, and turned on the radio and sat a flood flashlight on the roof:) I camped out by the pond...

I sat there awake for a while... I listened to Gillian Welch and watched as Harold patrolled the perimeters of the pasture...

Everyone survived the night, and that day was fathers day, & we had the pleasure of hosting everyone from the city:) It was also Ima Jean Fox's 93rd birthday:)

So needless to say, I had the family chase ducks around the pasture with me:) good times..

The ducks are all now sleeping nicely in the thick green of the grass and will soon be swimming in a man made pond that farmer Lillard is going to help me put in behind the guest cottage. I will pasture the ducks sooner or later, but for now, they shall be living around the homestead:)

Sorry I have not been blogging as much, but I promise to change that quickly:) I really do need to update y'all more often on EBA... this lovely little site is a way for my friends and family near & far to read about my adventures, so it is necessary...

Did you know I love you?:)

I sure as the morning do:

Key Lime Pie, Future Cobblestones & me missing you,

Yours Truly,

Miss Samantha Joelle Honey Lamb


2 comments:

AnnieDrews said...

In that pic of you and Fred, I am reminded of Ado Annie!! Love the image of you camping out in your truck bed watching out for your ducks. Wonderful post!

Samantha Joelle Honey Lamb said...

Im just a girl that can't say no;)